Let's face it, there are only a number of days left until Thanksgiving 2015. I don't know about you, but besides Halloween, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! I mean, who doesn't love a holiday that's all about food and family?
This school year, teaching Thanksgiving will be especially fun with my kinders! I am one of three of the ESL/ELL kindergarten classrooms. There are students in my classroom who have never experienced Thanksgiving, and I'm looking forward to making it memorable and special for them. I started to search Pinterest for ideas on easy DIY Thanksgiving projects for kids and found this adorable felt Turkey Crayon Holder! What a perfect gift for some of my kinders First Thanksgiving!
Naturally, whenever felt is needed for any project, I chose Kunin Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt. Kunin felt is so easy to cut and the colors are so vibrant! I recommend investing in a high quality scissor that will make cutting the felt easy peasy! (Crafter Hack: use aluminum foil to sharper dull scissors)
Here is a list of what I used for the Turkey Crayon Holder:
- 1 sheet of brown Kunin Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt
- 1 sheet of red Kunin Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt
- 1 sheet of orange Kunin Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt
- red thread
- 8 pack of crayons
- googly eyes
- fabric glue
- Turkey Crayon Holder Template
- Print out the template and cut out all the pieces.
- Trace the templates for the turkey feather fans on the brown felt (Optional: trace the smaller turkey feather fan on orange or red felt in you do not want an all brown turkey). I used a pen to trace the template onto the felt. I do not suggest using a permanent marker or fabric markers.
- Trace and cut out the beak on orange felt and gobbler on red felt.
- Use the needle and red thread to sew the smaller feather fan onto the larger feather fan. Sew along the edge starting and stopping at the edge of the smaller feather piece.
- Sew a diagonal line from the edge of the smaller feather piece down to the bottom center to form crayon pockets.
- Use fabric glue to glue the googly eyes, beak, and gobbler onto the body of the turkey. Let dry according to the fabric glue you used. A glue gun would also suffice.
- Once dried, apply fabric glue to the back of the body and adhere to the smaller turkey feather fan.
- Place your crayons in the pockets and voila! A Turkey Crayon Holder!
|Arrange the felt in this order.|
Cuteness level: 1,000
|Thanksgiving Turkey Crayon Holder made with Kunin Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt|
Yes, I will be making one for all 22 of my kinder kiddos, which is why I need to start making this now, just as you should! I can't wait to use Kunin Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt for Christmas and most importantly, my nephew's 1st Birthday in January. Keep your eyes peeled on my Instagram and blog for future Kunin Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt projects from Miss V!
Thanks so much for reading! Don't forget to enter the Rafflecopter Giveaway for a chance to win an amazing prize and enter the hashtag "#ClassroomsWithFelt" on Instagram to see other fun felt projects my friends have made!
Best wishes & kisses,